University applications and acceptance requirements can be really confusing at first glance, but they’re actually not all that complicated. Here’s what you need to know.

Know your matric symbols

It’s important to know what all the symbols mean so that you can aim for the marks that’ll get you into the kind of institution you want to go to.

A higher certificate (H) pass means you’ve gotten at least 40% for your Home Language, 40% for two other subjects and 30% for the rest of your subjects. A higher certificate pass will get you acceptance into a TVET/ FET college.

A diploma (D) pass means you’ve earned 40% and above for your Home Language, at least 40% for your 4 higher credit subjects and 30% for two other subjects. A diploma pass will get you into a university of technology and college, depending on what you’d like to study.

To get a bachelors pass (B), you need at least 40% for your Home Language, 50% and above for four high credit subjects, and 30% for two other subjects. This will earn you a spot at a university of technology, university and colleges, also depending on what you’d like to study.

What are APS scores?

Most tertiary institutions use the Admission Points Score (APS) system to assess whether or not learners can be admitted into the courses they’ve applied for. Different institutions calculate APS differently, so you’ll have to go onto the university’s website to see how many points you need to be accepted for the field of study you’re interested in. You earn a score based on the marks you’ve got for specific subjects, and the higher your marks, the higher the score.

What does provisional acceptance mean?

Basically, most state universities will send you a letter and/or email telling you that your application has been “provisionally accepted” if your application was valid and you’ve met all the general requirements for the course you’ve applied for. This is good news, but it’s not your final acceptance letter. What it means, is that you’ve met all the requirements and should you get the correct symbol at the end of your matric year, you’ll have a place at the university. You’ll only know for sure if you can study there, on the day that your matric results are released.

What you should know about funding

Different universities offer different scholarships and special funds to deserving students, so make sure you pay the fees office a visit so that you’re clued up on the different funding opportunities available. If you really want to pursue a tertiary education but are worried you might not have the money, then it’s a good idea to start looking at bursaries and scholarships, as well as student loans, from very early on. You could also find out about different student employment opportunities offered by the institution you’re looking to go to.

Stay in the loop

Stay informed about bursary opportunities, course changes, open days, and application deadlines specific to the faculty you’re applying to. The last thing you want is to have to ask the enrolment office to place you on a wait-list because your application wasn’t submitted on time. Universities are very strict on deadlines, so keep this in mind if you’re looking to apply to one.

There you have it - the basics of getting accepted into varsity. Got any tertiary related questions or comments? Get in touch with us!

Follow us